Did you know that Iowa has 4 clubs associated with the American Volkssport Association (AVA)? The AVA is a national walking organization with clubs throughout the Unites States. They sponsor noncompetitive walks, hikes, bike rides, swims, and in some regions cross-country skiing. Walking is the most popular of all the volks sporting activities and is sometime referred to as volkswalking and volksmarching.
A volkswalk is a 10 kilometer (6.2 mile) walk and a volkswalk will take about an hour and a half to two hours to complete. Ten permanent Volkssport trails have been established for seasonal use within Iowa state parks and recreation areas.
- Backbone State Park – .6 mi
- Big Creek State Park – 6 mi
- Gull Point State Park – 1.5 mi
- Lake Ahquabi State Park – 6 mi
- Lake Macbride State Park – 6 mi
- Nine Eagles State Park – 6 mi
- Pikes Peak State Park – 6 mi
- Pilot Knob State Park – 14 mi
- Pine Lake State Park – 6 mi
- Prairie Rose State Park – 7 mi